Free Federal

Free Federal 1040EZ
Simple Returns
Prepare Free
Print Free
E-file Free
Free Federal Taxes

Free Federal Tax Preparation

Do Your Taxes The EASY Way For FREE. Federal Free Edition today. Start Now
  1. FREE preparation, FREE printing, FREE efiling
    for your simple tax return with HR Block Federal Free Edition.
  2. Easily get the biggest tax refund possible, guaranteed.
  3. Free Audit Support Center and live online help
Free Federal Taxes - Start Now

Choose the Simplest Federal Tax Form for Your Needs

Federal 1040EZ You may qualify to use Form 1040EZ, the simplest form, if:

  • Your taxable income is below $100,000
  • Your filing status is Single or Married Filing Jointly
  • You (and spouse) are under age 65 and not blind
  • You are not claiming any dependents
  • Your interest income is $1,500 or less

  • 1040A You may be able to use Form 1040A if:

  • Your taxable income is below $100,000

  • You have capital gain distributions

  • You claim certain tax credits

  • You claim deductions for IRA contributions, student loan interest, educator expenses or higher education tuition and fees

  • 1040 If you cannot use either a 1040EZ or 1040A, you probably need to use Form 1040. You must file form 1040 if:

  • Your taxable income is $100,000 or more

  • You claim itemized deductions

  • You are reporting self-employment income
  • You are reporting income from sale of property

  • Source :

    Form 1040ez - For Free Simple Tax Return

    Last year, 53 million taxpayers filed their taxes online. That includes millions who were eligible to use form 1040EZ. If you're wondering whether you can go this really simple route, all you have to do is to meet two criteria. You must be single or married with no dependents, and your income on line 6 must not exceed $50,000.

    The main advantage to filing the 1040EZ is, of course, how incredibly simple it is and how much time you can save. When you file your taxes online, prices are generally related to how complex the form is. This means that the EZ is often the least expensive way to go.

    One thing you cannot do with the simplest form is to claim any dependents or education deductions. Neither can you claim any retirement savings credits. You can only use the form if you had only wages, salaries, tips, taxable scholarship or fellowship grants, unemployment compensation, or Alaska Permanent Fund dividends. Some tips can make you ineligible to use this form. You should definitely check with your online tax filing authority to determine if you can use the 1040EZ.

    If you can use the form 1040EZ, you'll be in for a pleasant surprise at how little time it will take and how reasonable the cost will be. One of the best features of filing online is that, if you have a refund coming, you will be able to elect the direct deposit option. This will allow you to get your refund within just a few days rather than having to wait for weeks just to find out if the IRS got your return.

    Do You Need to File a Federal 1040 EZ Income Tax Return?

    Many people will file a 2008 Federal income tax return even though the income on the return was below the filing requirement. The questions below will help you determine if you need to file a Federal Income Tax return or if you need to stop your withholding so you will not have to file an unnecessary return in the future.

    The Internal Revenue Service is providing this information as a part of our customer service and outreach efforts to Reduce Taxpayer Burden and Processing Costs. Changing your withholding and/or not filing Unnecessary Returns will save both you and the government time and money.

    Even if you do not have to file a return, you should file one to get a refund of any Federal Income Tax withheld.

    To determine if you need to file a Federal Income Tax return for 2008 answer the following questions:

    Occasionally, individuals have one-time or infrequent financial transactions that may require them to file a Federal Income Tax return. Do any of the following examples apply to you?

    • Did you have Federal taxes withheld from your pension and wages for this tax year and wish to get a refund back?
    • Are you entitled to the Earned Income Tax Credit or did you receive Advance Earned Income Credit for this tax year?
    • Were you self-employed with earnings of more than $400.00?
    • Did you sell your home?
    • Will you owe any special tax on a qualified retirement plan (including an individual retirement account (IRA) or medical savings account (MSA)? You may owe tax if you:
      • Received an early distribution from a qualified plan
      • Made excess contributions to your IRA or MSA
      • Were born before July 1, 1936, and you did not take the minimum required distribution from your qualified retirement plan.
      • Received a distribution in the excess of $160,000 from a qualified retirement plan.
    • Will you owe social security and Medicare tax on tips you did not report to your employer?
    • Will you owe uncollected social security and Medicare or Railroad retirement (RRTA) tax on tips you reported to your employer?
    • Will you be subject to Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT)? (The tax law gives special treatment to some kinds of income and allows special deductions and credit for some kinds of expenses.)
    • Will you owe recapture tax?
    • Are you a church employee with income in wages of $108.28 or more from a church or qualified church-controlled organization that is exempt from employer social security or Medicare taxes?