Free Federal

Free Federal 1040EZ
Simple Returns
Prepare Free
Print Free
E-file Free
Free Federal Taxes

Free Federal Tax Preparation

Do Your Taxes The EASY Way For FREE. Federal Free Edition today. Start Now
  1. FREE preparation, FREE printing, FREE efiling
    for your simple tax return with HR Block Federal Free Edition.
  2. Easily get the biggest tax refund possible, guaranteed.
  3. Free Audit Support Center and live online help
Free Federal Taxes - Start Now

Line Instructions for Form 1040EZ

IRS e-file takes the guesswork out of preparing your return. You may also be eligible to use Free File to file your federal income tax return. Visit for details.

Name and Address

Use the Peel-Off Label
Using your peel-off name and address label on the back of this booklet will speed the processing of your return. It also prevents common errors that can delay refunds or result in unnecessary notices. Put the label on your return after you have finished it. Cross out any incorrect information and print the correct information. Add any missing items, such as your apartment number.

Address Change
If the address on your peel-off label is not your current address, cross out your old address and print your new address. If you plan to move after filing your return, use Form 8822 to notify the IRS of your new address.

Name Change
If you changed your name because of marriage, divorce, etc., be sure to report the change to your local Social Security Administration office before you file your return. This prevents delays in processing your return and issuing refunds. It also safeguards your future social security benefits. See page 27 for details. If you received a peel-off label, cross out your former name and print your new name.

What if You Do Not Have a Label?
Print the information in the spaces provided. If you filed a joint return for 2006 and you are filing a joint return for 2008 with the same spouse, be sure to enter your names and SSNs in the same order as on your 2006 return.

P.O. Box
Enter your P.O. box number only if your post office does not deliver mail to your home.

Foreign Address
Print the information in the following order: City, province or state, and country. Follow the country's practice for entering the postal code. Do not abbreviate the country name.

Social Security Number (SSN)
An incorrect or missing SSN can increase your tax or reduce your refund. To apply for an SSN, fill in Form SS-5 and return it, along with the appropriate evidence documents, to the Social Security Administration (SSA). You can get Form SS-5 online at, from your local SSA office, or by calling the SSA at 1-800-772-1213. It usually takes about 2 weeks to get an SSN once the SSA has all the evidence and information it needs.

Check that your SSN on your Forms W-2 and 1099 agrees with your social security card. If not, see page 27 for more details.

IRS individual taxpayer identification numbers (ITINs) for aliens. If you are a nonresident or resident alien and you do not have and are not eligible to get an SSN, you must apply for an ITIN. For details on how to do so, see Form W-7 and its instructions. It usually takes about 4-6 weeks to get an ITIN.

If you already have an ITIN, enter it wherever your SSN is requested on your tax return.

n ITIN is for tax use only. It does not entitle you to social security benefits or change your employment or immigration status under U.S. law.

Nonresident alien spouse. If your spouse is a nonresident alien, he or she must have either an SSN or an ITIN.