Free Federal

Free Federal 1040EZ
Simple Returns
Prepare Free
Print Free
E-file Free
Free Federal Taxes

Free Federal Tax Preparation

Do Your Taxes The EASY Way For FREE. Federal Free Edition today. Start Now
  1. FREE preparation, FREE printing, FREE efiling
    for your simple tax return with HR Block Federal Free Edition.
  2. Easily get the biggest tax refund possible, guaranteed.
  3. Free Audit Support Center and live online help
Free Federal Taxes - Start Now

Difference Between 1040EZ and 1040A

If you have used the 1040EZ form in the pat but your tax situation has changed a bit you might be wondering what form you need to use this year. You may still be able to use the same form this year, or you may need to use the 1040A form. There are some basic differences between the two forms, but it doesn’t have to be complicated. Instead of getting frustrated or confused as to which form is right for you, we can break the differences down very simply for you.

Form 1040EZ if for tax payers that do not own their own home, as this simplifies the tax process. In addition this form is for those that do not have any dependents as well as limited deductions. There are specific deductions such as those for student loans, educator’s deductions, and others that cannot be deducted on this specific form. This is a very simple form to use, and can be done even by those that have never filled out a tax form on their own before. Simply filling out the form is as easy as following the layout of the form.

Form 1040A is for those that have a bit more complicated tax situation. You can use all of the same information with this form as you do with the EZ form; it just is the best form for those that have dependents, student loan interest, education credits or deductions, as well as additional types of income that need to be claimed. This is also a very simple form that can be filled out either by hand or through several different Internet based filing resources. Whether you use one form or the other, each have to be filed by the same date, April 15th and if you owe taxes you should make your check or money order out to the United States Treasury.

Many people start out using the 1040EZ when they first file their taxes and then they progress and start using the 1040A form. The EZ form is generally for those that have a very simple tax situation and it allows for tax payers to ease into filing their own taxes before they move on to more complicated tax situations and corresponding tax forms. Now that you know the basic differences between the 1040EZ form and the 1040A form you probably know which of the forms is right for you and your tax situation.

Natalie Aranda is a freelance writer. Form 1040A is for those that have a bit more complicated tax situation. You can use all of the same information with this form as you do with the EZ form. Many people start out using the 1040EZ when they first file their taxes and then they progress and start using the 1040A form. The EZ form is generally for those that have a very simple tax situation and it allows for tax payers to ease into filing their own taxes before they move on to more complicated tax situations and corresponding tax forms.

Questions Regarding E-Filing your 1040ez Tax Return

Over the last few years, there have been several incentives, or even requirements, provided by the IRS and state governments to encourage tax filers to file their returns electronically. Statistics show the percentage of e-filers is on the rise. With tax return deadlines right around the corner, we want to share our thoughts on the questions we receive most often from clients about e-filing.

Top 5 questions I am asked about e-Filing:

#5 Do I have to e-file?

No. The IRS does not currently require any tax return to be e-filed, however several states have implemented this requirement. In the past, the state has sent a "reminder" notice that future returns should be e-filed, but have warned that paper returns filed in the future will either be rejected or subject to a penalty. This most likely means that e-filing state income tax returns in these states will be mandatory, and we can anticipate that other states will add similar requirements.

#4 Do I have to provide my bank account information?

No. The only time your bank account information needs to be provided is if you would like your refund directly deposited into your bank account, or if you would like your payment directly drafted from your bank account. If you are hesitant to provide your bank account information to government agencies, you can receive your refund by check or if you owe, you can make your payment by mailing in a check.

#3 How long does it take to e-file?

Usually a return is accepted by the IRS or state within a few business days of the return being submitted. The acceptance provides confirmation that the return has been timely filed.

#2 If I owe with my return, is the payment due when my return is e-filed?

E-filing the return before the due date does not accelerate the due date of taxes. Payments can still be remitted separately any time before the due date of the return, even if the e-file is processed earlier.

Consider the following strategy. If you are due a refund on your state return, but owe on your federal return, then e-file both returns early. You could receive your state refund in time to use it towards your federal payment due. The same holds true if you owe on your state return and are due a refund on your federal return.

#1 Why should I e-file?

Here are a few reasons to e-file:

The risk of a return being lost in the mail or misplaced is minimized. Usually a taxpayer is not notified of a missing return until months or even years later. When a return is e-filed, confirmation of acceptance (receipt) by the IRS or state is provided within a few business days.

Paper filed returns are manually entered into the government's system, meaning that an input error could trigger a tax notice.

Part of the e-filing acceptance process used by the IRS and state governments includes a "pre-check" of certain items. These items must be correct in order for an e-filing to be accepted. This greatly minimizes the chance of receiving a tax notice.

Returns are processed more quickly; if you are due a refund, it will be sent sooner.

Form 1040EZ Tax Basics

The 1040EZ Tax Forms is specifically for individuals who meet certain criterion. These individuals may not even know who they are. That’s why the form 1040EZ tax basics are so important to understand and know. The following information on the tax form will help you understand better what you need to know.

The following 1040 EZ instructions are only applicable to the tax year 2006. These instructions do not apply to any other tax year; however the instructions for previous years may be found online.

Some of the basics for form 1040EZ is that the majority of taxpayers qualify for the telephone excise tax refund that is claimed right over the phone. The following information will help you determine whether or not you qualify for the 1040EZ. First of all, if your income is less than $100,000 and your interest income is less than $1500 you qualify for this tax form. You also qualify if your spouse and you are less than 65 years of age. Income that is specifically from wages, Alaska Permanent Fund dividends, unemployment compensation, and interest are also eligible for this tax form. Those with no adjustments to income, those that claim only standard deductions, those who aren’t claiming other tax credits, those who may claim the Earned Income Credit, as well as those who can claim the Telephone Excise Tax refund are eligible for the 1040EZ.

There are several reasons to use the 1040 EZ. One of them is that it is much quicker and easier to file, which means the IRS will process it quicker and you will get your refund faster. Lots of people qualify for the 1040EZ, so check and see if you do.

The easiest way to file the form 1040EZ quickly and easily is to get your W-2s, 1099s, 1099-G, and 1099-INT statements together. You might want to start out with two of the 1040EZ forms so that you can practice with one and then have a final copy for another. You will also want to have a copy of the instructions and read them very carefully. This form is easy to fill out, just make sure you read the instructions so you know you do it correctly. Finally, have a pen and calculator handy so that you can make your calculations.

The instructions will tell you where to write your name, address, and social security number as well as what information to include on what line. Your wages, interest, and other income will need to be filled out on the respective lines. Once you finish, double check your name, address, social security number, and the like to make sure all is correct. Then you will be able to receive your refund much faster.

Ten Last Minute Filing Tips

With the tax filing deadline close at hand, the IRS offers ten tips for those still working on their tax returns:

1. File Electronically - Consider filing electronically instead of using paper tax forms. If you file electronically and choose direct deposit, you can receive your refund in as few as 10 days.

2. Check the Identification Numbers - When filing a paper return carefully check the identification numbers — usually Social Security numbers — for each person listed. This includes you, your spouse, dependents and persons listed in relation to claims for the Child and Dependent Care Credit or Earned Income Tax Credit. Missing, incorrect or illegible Social Security Numbers can delay or reduce a tax refund.

3. Double-Check Your Figures - If you are filing a paper return, you should double-check that you have correctly figured the refund or balance due.

4. Check the Tax Tables - If you are filing using the Free File Fillable Forms or a paper return you should double-check that you have used the right figure from the tax table.

5. Sign your form - Taxpayers must sign and date their returns. Both spouses must sign a joint return, even if only one had income. Anyone paid to prepare a return must also sign it.

6. Mailing Your Return - Use the coded envelope included with your tax package to mail your return. If you did not receive an envelope, check the section called "Where Do You File?" in the tax instruction booklet.

7. Mailing a Payment - People sending a payment should make the check out to “United States Treasury” and should enclose it with, but not attach it to the tax return or the Form 1040-V, Payment Voucher, if used. The check should include the taxpayer’s Social Security number, daytime phone number, the tax year and the type of form filed.

8. Electronic Payments - Electronic payment options are convenient, safe and secure methods for paying taxes. You can authorize an electronic funds withdrawal, or use a credit card or a debit card. For more information on electronic payment options, visit

9. Extension to File - By the April due date, taxpayers should either file a return or request an extension of time to file. Remember, the extension of time to file is not an extension of time to pay.

10. - Forms and publications and helpful information on a variety of tax subjects are available around the clock on the IRS Web site at

source :

What is New For 1040ez Form ?

Use This Form If

  • Filing status is single or married filing jointly.

  • You (and your spouse if married filing jointly) were under age 65 and not blind at the end of 2008. If you were born on January 1, 1944, you are considered to be age 65 at the end of 2008.

  • You do not claim any dependents. For information on dependents.

  • Your taxable income (line 6) is less than $100,000.

  • You do not claim any adjustments to income. For information on adjustments to income.

  • The only tax credits you can claim are the earned income credit (EIC) and the recovery rebate credit. You do not need a qualifying child to claim the EIC.

  • You had only wages, salaries, tips, taxable scholarship or fellowship grants, unemployment compensation, or Alaska Permanent Fund dividends, and your taxable interest was not over $1,500. But if you earned tips, including allocated tips, that are not included in Form W-2, you may not be able to use Form 1040EZ. If you are planning to use Form 1040EZ for a child who received Alaska Permanent Fund dividends.

  • You did not receive any advance earned income credit payments. If you cannot use this form.

Filling in Your Return.

  • If you received a scholarship or fellowship grant or tax-exempt interest income, such as on municipal bonds, see the booklet before filling in the form. Also, see the booklet if you received a Form 1099-INT showing federal income tax withheld or if federal income tax was withheld from your unemployment compensation or Alaska Permanent Fund dividends.

  • Remember, you must report all wages, salaries, and tips even if you do not get a Form W-2 from your employer. You must also report all your taxable interest, including interest from banks, savings and loans, credit unions, etc., even if you do not get a Form 1099-INT.