Free Federal

Free Federal 1040EZ
Simple Returns
Prepare Free
Print Free
E-file Free
Free Federal Taxes

Free Federal Tax Preparation

Do Your Taxes The EASY Way For FREE. Federal Free Edition today. Start Now
  1. FREE preparation, FREE printing, FREE efiling
    for your simple tax return with HR Block Federal Free Edition.
  2. Easily get the biggest tax refund possible, guaranteed.
  3. Free Audit Support Center and live online help
Free Federal Taxes - Start Now

Which Filing Status Can You Use For Filing 1040ez Form?

Single Filing:

Use this filing status if any of the following was true on December 31, 2011.
  • You never were married.

  • You were legally separated, according to your state law, under a verdict of divorce or separate maintenance.

  • You were widowed before January 1, 2011, and did not remarry in 2011.

Married Filing Jointly:

Use this filing status if any of the following apply.
  • You were married at the end of 2011, even if you did not live with your spouse at the end of 2011.

  • Your spouse died in 2011 and you did not remarry in 2011.

  • You were married at the end of 2011, and your spouse died in 2012 before filing a 2011 return.

For federal tax purpose, a marriage means only a legal blending between a man and a woman as husband and wife, and the word spouse means a person of the opposite sex who is a husband or a wife. A husband and wife filing jointly report their joint income and deduct their combined acceptable expenses on one tax return. A husband and wife can file a joint tax return even if only one had income or if they did not live together all year. However, both persons must sign the return. Once you file a joint return, you cannot select to file separate returns for that year after the due date of the return.

Combined and more than a few tax liabilities. If you file a joint tax return, both you and your spouse are normally liable for the tax and interest or penalties due on the tax return. This means that if one spouse does not pay the tax due, the other may have to. Or, if one spouse does not report the correct tax, both spouses may be responsible for any extra taxes assessed by the IRS. You may want to file separately if:

You believe your partner is not reporting all of his or her income, or You do not want to be liable for any taxes due if your partner does not have sufficient tax withheld or does not pay enough estimated tax.

If you want to file separately, you must use Form 1040 or 1040A. You cannot use Form 1040EZ.

Source: IRS.GOV